Wednesday, February 16, 2011

An Oration for the Hay-Pauncefote Treaty of 1901

[I am writing this oration on behalf of the Hay-Pauncefote Treaty of 1901, which, being a treaty, cannot type. But don't let that discredit it...]

I am perhaps the most important event of my day! Just consider it! Before me, there was that annoying Clayton-Bulwer Treaty with Britain from way back when in the 1850s, which denied the United States the rights to build passage from the Atlantic to the Pacific. But then came the very need to do so- in Panama. Imagine the inconvenience of having to travel all the way around South America, a 3 or 4 week journey, when one could reach the same destination in just a few hours by cutting across Panama! The benefits are astronomical! And I, of course, provided those benefits. Because the Brits were so tangled up down there in Africa, they kindly consented to have me written, granting Americans right not only to build the canal but to fortify it, too! And thus the Hay-Pauncefote Trearty was born! Since, I have provided the way to amazing benfits of the wonderfully convenient crossing form Atlantic to Pacific in a few hours, via the Panama Canal!

No comments:

Post a Comment